Thursday, November 20, 2008

My life as an Army wife

Eight years ago I met the man of my dreams. When I first met him I knew immediately that he was the one. After getting to know him I found out that he was leaving for the army at the end of the school year. "I was so upset". When he left I knew I had to be strong for him and myself.

All my friends and family told me that I couldn't handle it and that the relationship would not last. Right after boot camp he got deployed to Iraq for the first time. I think it was the scariest time of my life, because I did not know if he was going to come back. I prayed everyday that he would be OK, and that he would come back to me. Then he came back. I thought that was the happiest day of my life.

He had been back in the states for a few months and he came home to visit me as much as he could. I really remember one specific time he came to see me. I had no idea what was about to happen to me. He popped the question, "Will you marry me?" At that moment I knew I was going to be happy for the rest of my life. The wedding day was almost here, and I was rushing around trying to get everything done. Then a Surprise hit me I was pregnant. I was so scared. We got married and I moved to be with him. Then I got the news again. They were going back to Iraq. So I had my daughter 5 weeks early and he left three days after she was born, and I thought myself, "What am I supposed to do now?! I have this baby and I have no clue what to do!"

I think that was the longest 15 months of my life. That night my husband had come home to us once again and I thank God so much for that. He has only been home three months and I got pregnant again. A few months later, we moved to Colorado. He started working and once again I heard those words. That's right! Back to Iraq. Now I have to deal with a new born baby and my 2-year-old all by myself, except now I am in a town where I do not know anyone. I was praying and hoping that this would be his last time over there.

I got a call one day and they said, "Your husband got shot in the head." Right there I thought he was dead, however he was fine. The bullet did not penetrate, but it made him forget everything. He cannot remember what I ask him to do or what I even say to him most of the time. My life as an army wife has been so hard. In fact, I have had people telling me that he was stupid for joining and that I needed to leave him because he was not coming back. I deal with things like this almost on a daily basis. I refuse to let it bother me. I know what I live for and that is supporting my husband and kids in whatever they decide to do.

Being an army wife is one of the hardest jobs a women can have. It is a 24-7 job of wondering and worrying about how your life long partner is doing or even if he will come home to you. What I have explained in all of this is not even half of what has happened. Now that's my life as and Army wife.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!
And I thought that my life as an Army wife was hard.
I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I do not know what its like to be a army wife but it sounds like it can be rough at times especially having to raise your kids by your self. Your doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

i personally think that all soldiers should get their little vacation for the reason that their family wonders how are they doing or if he got shot.secondly, the soldiers should talk to the wives and explain to them that is all part of the job.

Anonymous said...

It seems like that was very hard to deal with. but it shows your true love for him. When you found out he got shot you must have been quivering with fear.

Anonymous said...

I always wounder how the wife of a army husben works out.I want to wish you good luck and be strong.Life will always be up and down its geeting back up that make a diffrents...GOOD LUCK

Anonymous said...

I think you are a strong woman. I'm sure your family is so proud of you. Blessings.