Thursday, November 20, 2008

Often times my mind....

never shuts down as I lay In my bed. In my bedroom struggling to fall asleep at night, almost as quickly as I laid down, I'm getting back up again because of restlessness, and a constant battle of the mind not knowing when to shut down. At the same time, I'm getting back up again. My mind is in a constant battle of knowing when to shut off. In the meantime, my mind is worrying about all my children's issues, and suddenly it switches from the children to my husband and what's going on with him. Soon after that it's on all the responsibilities that I have going on in my own life. During all these thoughts and feelings going on in my mind, finally I'm at a point to where I'm in tears, and praying to God that he will give me peace of mind, right away so that I can fall asleep. Hours go by, and I am finally able to rest and the mind shuts down. Then at last I can fall asleep peacefully.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Take some comfort, Jennifer, in the fact that you're not the only one who can't turn off your mind at night. I remember times like that in my life, too.

It was "lights out" at 11 PM every weeknight at Cottey College. I didn't know how I was going to go to classes, study, do everything on my own, hold a job, pay my own bills, and prepare a paper or study for a test by that time every night. Sometimes it meant reading by flashlight under the covers to complete my work. I survived!

Along came work full-time and marriage to a husband who traveled 50 percent of the time internationally for more than 35 years. That meant the load at home was borne by me a great deal of the time. I knew what I was getting into when we got married and determined that I would not let it adversely affect our daughter. I survived and so did she and he! (He's retired now and helping me with my job. How nice!)

As Director, my job requires multi-tasking every moment of the day. I don't always accomplish everything I'd like, but I keep a note pad close to my bed at night so that I can make notes of priorities or of things important as I think of them. That gives me a certain peace of mind. I'm surviving!

Try not to worry about not sleeping. Carve out some personal time for yourself each day. Accept the fact that you can't fix all things - particularly those of grown children.

Your fellow employees at the Colorado P.E.O. Chapter House and our residents love your cooking and meal planning and appreciate all that you do for us. Keep up the good work.

Again, I'd like to have a front row seat when you receive that GED! I'm a 36-year member of P.E.O. (www.peointernational.org) and a graduate of their college, Cottey. Education is important to all P.E.O.s. We know that education offers us greater opportunities and makes us better people. Hats off to you in the New Year. Keep up the good work!

Janet Weidner - 12/26/08

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, with the tossing and turning and the restless nights every night.
Everything WILL get better eventually.

Anonymous said...

i could never fall asleep right away