Tuesday, September 29, 2009

MY SPECIAL TOMAR





Well I wanted to tell you about a Tomar I have. It means everything to me. It's nothing big really, just something small, but worth a lot to me. It is a picture of a little saint my mom gave me. She gave it to me before I left Mexico and came to came to Colorado. I was only 16 years old. She told me to carry it with me while I was on the bus and everything would be ok.
So I did as I was told. I prayed to make it here and I did. I remembered what my mom told me and it made me happpy. I now keep it inside one of my purses, the same purse I was wearing the day I said bye to my mom and dad. I can still remember I was crying when I was getting the tickets until I got to Denver. I really felt as if the world was ending right then and there.
All I was thinking was what did I do? I had left my family when they needed me more than ever. Who was I going to lean on when I needed a shoulder? Who was ever going to give me advice like mom and dad? Who was going to love me more than them? Million of questions ran through my mind and the answers... where? So I got the image out, and cried in the bathroom of the bus station like a child. Then I remembered my mom again. She wouldn't be next to me, but I would have great memories and they would always be in my heart.
I realized, that if you want something in life you have to let go of those you truly love, because that's life and nothing is ever fair. So my Tomar means the world to me because I have memories of my family when I look at the image. It also has a prayer in the back. Only Catholic people belive in Saints and my mom is one of them, but thats good I guess because she cares about me religion or no religion.

11 comments:

celica said...

I know its hard being without your mom and dad.. but just have faith and keep strong like your have been.. and if you ever need someone to take to you know you can trust me in anything...

Jenny said...

To tell you the truth its a really good and sad story.I felt the same way as you did when i came to Colorado without my family(in sept.11-2009)Like two weeks ago.

Diana said...

I know how it feels to be seperated from the people you love the most,and come here by yourself without known anybody. Hope that you never give up and make your family proud of you.

Sonia said...

It's a really good story. I like it because I have in my life something special like a tomar. I feel always protected, like you.

G.FELIX said...

Hi... i just was reading your story, I'll tell you something...i feel your story really close to my one.Why? When i came from Mexico a year 5 months ago to be exact,i came here i left everything over there...My mom gave to me a prayer (una oracion.)it is the most important thing that i have from her... So that's why i feel the same than you.. I would like know you, i hope it become true.. lol then if u want we can go to dancing o whatever.... if u wanna know about my story, that be great.. Bye bye

Anonymous said...

Very nice story. I suppose I have a Tomar as well. When I joined the U.S. Navy my father gave me a small bible with a written message in it. Although the bible is special for its own reasons, the written message in it means the most. This is especially true considering that my father is no longer with us. The message by the way was "to have faith is to succeed." I will always remember this and hold in near and dear to my heart.

Doug said...

I was moved by your story because I left home like you. I suppose that makes me self-centered in a way. I had the same "WHAT AM I DOING???" moment as you except that mine occurred when we reached Colorado Springs (not Denver). I missed my family tremendously and I missed my home. As time went on, I grew to love my new city and I can't imagine living anywhere else. I have heard it said that, "You are where you belong." There's a reason and a purpose for where you are at this very moment. I find that comforting and I hope you do too.

Anonymous said...

Oops, that last anonymous comment was from me, Jason:)

Mary said...

Hi, India,
I find it interesting that your wrote about something that I just learned about. Your writing taught me something else, though. I knew about the germs escaping when the toilet is flushed, but I didn't know that a person should close the lid so that the germs didn't spread. Consequently, I will begin closing the lid before flushing in the hopes that we are not so germ y. Thanks for the tip. Best wishes with your studies!

Silvia said...

When the years start going by, we forget about the beautiful things that our parent teach us, like to have faith. Is great to see that you haven't forget about it.

rasheal said...

Hi Bruja! your story really make me think how we live our family behind and come here to try to make our goals NO te rindas mija puro para delante