Thursday, September 24, 2009

Things that happen when you don't think twice

When I was 19 years old I decided that I needed a vacation, and I went to Mexico.
I left my family behind in the USA.
I spent one month just partying, and drinking with friends. That is all I really wanted to do. I just wanted a get away pass.

On my way back to the USA I got stopped by immigration. They questioned me, took my visa away, and I got sent back to Mexico. When I was back I noticed that I didn't have anything. I didn't leave just my family behind. I left my life. I felt lost and all could think about was my family, because all I have in Mexico is my Grandmother.

It was really hard to think about not seeing my parents for a while. I never realized or appreciated how much I needed my family until that day. Also I thought about how to get back to the USA. I wait in Mexico for two more months, and I came back to the USA. On my way back I dealt with lots of obstacles. I wasn't a citizen, and I lost my visa, so the only way in was illegal. I tried different ways until I was finally with my family.

I used to be a brat and complain about everything. But now I understand that my behavior, and my way to see life wasn't going to take me anywhere.
Until now that same bad decision is getting in my way, because I got married with a USA citizen and I can't get the famous green card.

5 comments:

Vicky said...

Wow Silvia you know what that is true.Thathappens when you
don't think things twice. I have noticed that when you have something valuable you don't appreciate it and you know you loose it... Yea stuff like that happens and you know what i bet your're not the only one that that has happened to. Even i have been through that funny right... you might think wow she is so young what would she know... Right i know because i have been through many stuff. And well don't worry i think everybody hates beign illegal. I wish it wouldn't be that way, but it is and we can't do anything. so good story really good story. I guess u learned your lesson right?

Sonia said...

Wow! It's a great story and I think you're so brave to let us know how your life has changed since then. I hope one day the things change for you and for many people here in USA.

lorena. a said...

Wow! I just can not believe how we think when we are young, but when the time past we see life differently.

Racheal said...

Wow Silvia your story really got to me.You know what just be patient and don't rush on a decision. Like you posted on your story "think twice" before you do any thing that you will regret in the future.

Racheal said...

I really like your story. I share your feeling and your thoughts. Deep inside me feel the same way you do.