Thursday, February 19, 2009

Being A Soldier's Wife

Opposite of most wives - I'm one of the women that married my husband before he joined the military. My husband and I met as high school sweethearts; he was 16 and I was 15 years old. Well, to make our lives interesting we decided to get married before graduating. So we did. After about six months, he decided to join the U.S. Army, and that is where my life of being a " Soldier's Wife " began.

During Basic Training and AIT, he was stationed in Kentucky. This is a schooling program to make sure the soldiers know their specific job.

After graduating from this school, we went straight to Germany. This is where we had our first baby; the 12 months later we had our second baby. We were in Germany for four and a half years.

Then in 2003, we moved to Colorado, and we were so happy to be back stateside. We have lived in Colorado for six years. In these six years, my husband has been deployed to Iraq three times:
The first time......... ( April 2003- March 2004 )
The second time.....( November 2005- December 2006 )
His third tour over there was the longest tour that he has done...... 15 months long!!

Wow, I don't know how I was able to do this, but I did! ( December 2007- February 2009)

My husband has served the military for 10 years from November 1998 to present, and he has just re-enlisted for another six years. This summer we are leaving Colorado to go to a different duty station. So being a soldiers wife is challenging everyday, yet it is worth it.

I am so proud of him, and what he is doing for our country. Our children look up to him, and thank him everyday for doing what he does.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!.I THINK YOU ARE A VERY STRONG PERSON.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Danira.... to be able to move so often, and have babies in a foreign country and to deal with your husband being gone so much. If you can do that, you can do anything!

unity said...

I was a sodier's wife too. I was in the same situation.

Anonymous said...

I think he's proud of you too.you've been able to handle it, even thouh its very difficult.

Anonymous said...

that last commentn was me. Kisun!

Anonymous said...

ANGI:

I have never been in a position like yours, I am so sure it must be extremely hard. I think he should be very proud of you because you have been able to support him in your role as a full time mother and wife, so be proud of yourself and good for you.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Danira too. It's very interesting and hard at the same time be a soldier's wife.
But with love everything is possible.

Marcia said...

You and your family have contributed so much to our country. Thank you.

Kay said...

I was a military wife, too, and also lived in Germany. My husband had just joined the military when we got married but we didn't have chldren yet which I know makes it harder. ALso there weren't any conflicts then. The best part is all the people you meet as you go to new posts and all the interesting places they are from and all the places in the world. Everyone helped everyone else. I hope it is still true especially at this time which is so difficult for military families.

Raquel said...

You're really brave to support living 12 to 15 months by your self. Im thank your husband for making a difference in our country...