Thursday, March 19, 2009

Killing Time

When I was about nine or ten years old, I used to dream about driving a car.
I didn't have very many friends, I was pretty shy,but there was this one friend, and he had hookups around the town so we use to make go-carts out of Big Wheels. They were not Motorized so I became the pusher.
They said I was the fastest so we would have races, and we would always win.

I remember even making a make believe car in the backyard of my house. I sat on the ground leaning up against a pole, and made my own car sounds. My sisters would just laugh at me, but they told me later on in life that I sounded just like a race car, and they were impressed at the sounds I made. I would be out there for hours sometimes. But I thought it was the greatest time I ever had.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was hilarious1 Great story. The sounds that my sons manage to come up with for cars, spaceships, etc... always amaze me! I don't think they "learn" that; it's just hard-wired into their DNA as boys, I think!

Johanna said...

My son, too, loves to make different noises! I have to be careful not to get too irritated when he continues to make these noises over and over and over . . . .

Anonymous said...

As a girl growing up in a world were there was a usual role for women, I actually LOVED anything with wheels because I loved driving things. Today, in my late forties, I'm so happy that the first thing I got when I arrived in this country was a driver's license, because I have been driving ever since! --Pilar