Thursday, December 4, 2008

Falling

I remember, about eight years ago, I purchased a two-cycle motor scooter. It had small tires and was low to the ground. If you were to go fast on the scooter, it would be very scary because it was only made to go a certain speed. Well, I improved the engine a little to make it go faster.

For the next few days, I rode all over the neighborhood. It was quite loud because I had put a bigger muffler and carborator on it. One evening, I asked my ten year old daughter to go for a ride with me. We had ridden it before together, so she was comfortable with it. However, this night was different.

We rode at night because of less traffic, so she felt safe. We went to ride around at the school parking lot. We were on the sidewalk. I don't know what I was thinking. Suddenly, we were on the edge of the curb, and I thought I could jump off the curb with my daughter on the front of the scooter. Just then, we went forward, going head-first into the ground. To keep my daughter's face from being "roadkill", I put my hand in front of her face, and her face hit my hand and broke my wrist. She was pretty shaken up. We then walked home, talking about our experience.

Since then, she has never ridden with me again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds so crazy but u have to remember that no matter what kind of bike or scooter u have u must always be careful, but that was so nice of you to put your hands down to keep your daughter from hurting her face

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel i have a 2006 Yamaha R6 its a lot bigger then the scooter you have. The roads where i live are not the best around town. People don't even see you or they do and just don't care. So trying to find a safe place to ride is some what hard to find. See i would find the highway safer to ride on but the turned out not so.

Sep, 9 2006 i was on the high way playing around with my Yamaha and i got so in to having fun that i almost forgot to take my exit. I turned off the highway i did not see the dirt till the last sec. By then i was hitting the ground sliding about 30 to 40 feet and had the biggest road rash ever! But the best thing i had on was my Helmet.

So i can relate to you in a way Falling is not fun! Plus you hurt for days and just don't want to get out of bed.

(Zack B)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what a terrible accident. That was quick thinking of you about putting your hand out there so your daughter wont get seriously hurt. That is a shame that your wrist was broken, but you probably saved your daughter from a whole lot of drama growing up.

Anonymous said...

I haven't ridden bycicle since I was 13 years old. Last year my daughter wanted to ride it with me.
So I tried to ride that it's been a long time. But bad happened started, we were falling down the ground again and again. Fortunaly nobody hurt, but my daughter doesn't want to ride it with me anymore like you. I practics to ride a bycicle after that day.
Finally I can ride it well now.

Anonymous said...

That sounds really freaky. But glad to hear you both both are doing ok. Some people wouldn't be so lucky.